    SubjectRe: [CFT] more kdev_t-ectomy
    > MKDEV(<constant>,<constant>) is a valid thing, as far as I'm concerned.

    Yes. I was tempted to change the first argument of blk_register_region
    into a pair, killing some MKDEV occurrences, but then I noticed that
    almost all are of the form MKDEV(<constant>,<constant>), and that
    is not so bad.

    Still, the fact that every single call of blk_register_region
    has a first argument MKDEV(ma,mi) suggests that one might
    consider leaving these parameters separate.

    [Now that we are talking anyway, let me ask about something.
    You wrote blk_register_region so that subregions override
    superregions. At the bottom there is the full region.
    Was this just a general good idea, or do you have definite
    applications in mind? I ask this mostly because the hash
    lookup becomes more complicated in the general case.
    You may have noticed that I wrote

    static inline int major_to_index(int major)
    return major % MAX_PROBE_HASH;
    static inline int dev_to_index(dev_t dev)
    return major_to_index(MAJOR(dev));

    and that is OK for regions with constant major.
    For multimajor regions a hash does not work very well, and
    a tree looks better.]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.020 / U:28.056 seconds]