    SubjectRe: Are linux-fs's drive-fault-tolerant by concept?
    Date
    > I wonder whether it would be a good idea to give the linux-fs
    > (namely my preferred reiser and ext2 :-) some fault-tolerance.

    Fault tollerance should be done at a lower level than the filesystem.

    Linux filesystems are used on many different devices, not just hard
    disks. Different devices can fail in different ways - a disk might
    have a lot of bad sectors in a block, a tape[1] might have a single
    track which becomes unreadble, and solid state devices might have get
    a few random bits flipped all over them, if a charged particle passes
    through them.

    The filesystem doesn't know or care what device it is stored on, and
    therefore shouldn't try to predict likely failiures.

    A RAID-0 array and regular backups are the best way to protect your
    data.

    [1] Although it is uncommon to use a tape as a block device, you never
    know. It's certainly possible, (not necessarily with Linux).

    John.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.068 / U:3.000 seconds]