    So I wrote a mknod64(1) tool, so we can play with 64-bit device
    numbers. It is available at:

    for testing. And that is really its whole purpose because I see no
    reason why the mknod in coreutils will not eventually support

    But for now this version works and supports the 64-bit dev_t with a
    32:32 split. It is also identical in functionality to mknod(1), except
    it does not support an initial mode other than the default (i.e., no
    --mode option).

    Installation is simple but RPM packages are also available.

    Usage is the same as mknod, except you may specify a 32-bit value for
    the major and the minor device number.

    This currently requires 2.5.67-mm4, but I suspect the 64-bit dev_t work
    will eventually make its way into Linus's tree.

    Note that most utilities cannot see the 64-bit device numbers, i.e.
    ls(1) only displays 8-bits of each. You can do a homemade stat64() or
    just trust the code.

    With the above kernel and this utility, you can play with 64-bit device
    numbers. Enjoy.

    Robert Love

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.020 / U:4.716 seconds]