Subjectmknod64(1)
So I wrote a mknod64(1) tool, so we can play with 64-bit device
numbers. It is available at:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rml/mknod64

for testing. And that is really its whole purpose because I see no
reason why the mknod in coreutils will not eventually support
mknod64(2).

But for now this version works and supports the 64-bit dev_t with a
32:32 split. It is also identical in functionality to mknod(1), except
it does not support an initial mode other than the default (i.e., no
--mode option).

Installation is simple but RPM packages are also available.

Usage is the same as mknod, except you may specify a 32-bit value for
the major and the minor device number.

This currently requires 2.5.67-mm4, but I suspect the 64-bit dev_t work
will eventually make its way into Linus's tree.

Note that most utilities cannot see the 64-bit device numbers, i.e.
ls(1) only displays 8-bits of each. You can do a homemade stat64() or
just trust the code.

With the above kernel and this utility, you can play with 64-bit device
numbers. Enjoy.

Robert Love

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans