SubjectRe: 2.5.67-mm3

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 09:55:41PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Callers will use sizes between 1 and PAGE_CACHE_SIZE, with arbitrary
> alignment. So you may need to fault in up to
> (PAGE_CACHE_SIZE / MMUPAGE_SIZE) + 1
> pte's. And up to two PAGE_CACHE_SIZE pages.

I checked on what pgcl was doing, and it's buggy. Thanks, I'll fix it
up and keep it rolling for when the time is right to send pieces in
(if ever for 2.6).

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 09:55:41PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Sort-of. The code is doing two things.
> a) Make sure that all the relevant pte's are established in the correct
> state so we don't take a fault while holding the subsequent atomic kmap.
> This is just an optimisation. If we _do_ take the fault while holding
> an atomic kmap, we fall back to sleeping kmap, and do the whole copy
> again. It almost never happens.

This is the easy part; we're basically just prefaulting.

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 09:55:41PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> b) Making sure that the pagecache page is present before we lock it. This
> is to handle the icky deadlock which occurs when someone is doing a
> write() into a MAP_SHARED region of the file, where the source and dest of
> the copy are the same physical page. If we take a fault and then try to
> bring the page uptodate in the fault handler we deadlock because the page
> is already locked.
> The fault-by-hand-before-locking-the-page is racy - if the VM steals
> the page again before we lock it (rare), the deadlock can still occur.
> I've been able to trigger the fault which causes fallback to kmap()
> occasionally, under heavy load. But never the deadlock.
> We don't know how to fix this for real. I had patch for a while which
> added current->locked_page, and filemap_nopage() would compare that with
> the to-be-locked page and say "ah-hah!" and take avoiding action.
> But then Hugh rudely pointed out that the deadlock was still present if
> two tasks were involved, each trying to fault in the other's locked page.

This sounds more serious. My first thought is address-ordering the
locking, but it's not obvious how to do that with the current control
flow structure (and it sounds oversimplified). On my list of things to
think about.

-- wli

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.086 / U:0.364 seconds]