    SubjectRe: kernel support for non-English user messages

    Robert White wrote:

    >Message codes would be *VERY BAD* anyway. As soon as you start that, then
    >you need a numbering authority and all that nonsense.
    >However, it should be "reasonably easy" to preprocess (in the gcc -E sense)
    >all the files in a kernel directory and the gather up nearly all the
    >prototype strings. (you would still have the occasional person who wrote
    >"char Message[] = "INode: %d invalid"; printk(Message,number);" instead of
    >having the string in place as just "printk("INode: %d invalid",number);" and
    >the later is easier to collect up 8-)
    >The thing is "INode: %d invalid", as a string is easy to decompose into a
    >regular expression because it is mostly-constant and the non-constant parts
    >are represented with constant markers. There are a small number of
    >degenerate cases [e.g. printk("Filename %s invalid: %s","Filename","invalid:
    >whitespace character")] that might need to be tweaked but nothing is
    >So "the magic tool" collects these imprint strings and builds a list of all
    >the strings (for the translator), a recognizer-table (perhaps hashes against
    >the constant leader word of each message and a regex for the message) that
    >points to the also-built hash/key into the table of all of the known

    I'm working on this right now. My plan is as follows:

    - Use a C parser which takes .c or .i files and searches for the format
    parameter to every printk call.
    - Provide that information to both a preprocessor and the printk function.
    - Pipe every .c or .i file through an intermediate preprocessor before
    or after going to cpp but before the compiler.
    - Do automatic string replacement.

    Right now, I'm hovering somewhere around 40% compression on the text.
    When I have better results, I will write up a full report and post it
    on lkml.

    And, BTW, I will ONLY be supporting English. As far as I am concerned,
    the internationalization is an concluded issue. There's no benefit to
    it, and Linus won't accept it into mainline anyhow.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.020 / U:36.212 seconds]