    SubjectRe: olarge -- force O_LARGEFILE on app binaries.
    On Apr 14, 2003  17:29 +0100, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Andreas Dilger wrote:
    > > I don't see how this helps you very much. So now, instead of the kernel
    > > complaining with EFBIG and/or SIGXFSZ, your 32-bit size offset wraps in
    > > the application.
    >
    > Good point, but, very _very_ luckily it does NOT happen in this case, i.e.
    > with gs(1). I just verified every bit of output and it is correct both
    > before and beyond the 2G boundary, all the way to 5.2G. But in general
    > (i.e. for some other app) your comment is valid.

    I suppose for applications that do only streaming I/O (and gs is one of those)
    this O_LARGEFILE fix shouldn't cause any problem. Any applications which do
    seeking, or otherwise use/store the file offset for any reason will likely
    break. However, since they are still using the 32-bit syscalls, they will
    likely just get EOVERFLOW and not die horribly (assuming they check the
    return code).

    Cheers, Andreas
    --
    Andreas Dilger