SubjectRe: Oops: ptrace fix buggy
On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Jörn Engel wrote:

> On Mon, 14 April 2003 16:31:08 +0200, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 15:46, Jörn Engel wrote:
> >
> > > Privately, I have introduced a variable FIXLEVEL for this. The
> > > resulting kernel version is 2.4.20.2 instead of 2.4.20-uv2, which imo
> > > is more suiting for a fixed stable kernel.
> >
> > This is not a good idea ... especially if its a box that you
> > compile a lot of software on. Reason is that everything expects
> > it to be MAJ.MIN.MIC ... If you add now another version, then
> > things start to break. A good example is mozilla ...
>
> That doesn't convince me (yet?). Why doesn't 2.4.20-pre5-ac3 break
> mozilla, but 2.4.20.1 does? If mozilla depends on this information, it
> should at least have a robust parser for it.
>
> Can you give me a little more details on this? Did anyone ever declare
> that userspace can expect kernel versions to fit this regex?
> \d+\.\d+\.\d+(-.+)?

Hi,
If you only change the one line and add the new variable I'm afraid it won't
work due to other things changing as well... At least the files
Makefile
Rules.make
arch/ppc/boot/Makefile
arch/arm/boot/Makefile
scripts/patch-kernel
scripts/mkspec
scripts/Menuconfig

will need to be looked at as these are ones which contain references to
SUBVERSION... References to EXTRAVERSION also reside in these files. It
would just be better to do the "right thing" IMHO.

I will take a look at this and produce a patch for the same.

Regards
James Bourne

--
James Bourne | Email: jbourne@hardrock.org