    SubjectRe: Re: Processor sets (pset) for linux kernel 2.5/2.6?

    Quoting Robert Love <rml@tech9.net>:

    > We strive for simple interfaces here in Linux :)
    >
    > If you want to give them exclusive access, you need to bind all the
    > other processes to the other processors. One easy way to do this is to
    > have init bind itself elsewhere on boot.

    Interesting idea. AFAICS, this involves either changing the code of /sbin/init
    to set its affinity to a default cpu mask (provided by a kernel boot flag, I
    presume), or using taskset-like functionality and then hoping that all current
    shells etc. die before the programs I care about start.

    Would it not be better to simply have the kernel use the boot flag directly as
    the default CPU mask setting?

    [ I can see the argument that "if you need such control, you should set up your
    distro to deal with it", but that is a level of tweaking I would like to avoid
    for my customers ]

    Thanks, Shaheed

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.020 / U:0.384 seconds]