    SubjectRe: Benefits from computing physical IDE disk geometry?
    On Sul, 2003-04-13 at 19:24, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
    > Now given these discs have processors on board isn't it about time
    > someone improved the disc interface standards to push some of the
    > intelligence drivewards? I guess with enough intelligence the drive
    > could do free block allocation and could do things like copying blocks
    > around for you.

    I wish it would. Most of the research and stuff so far has either put
    the file system into the disk firmware (upgrade hell). Having a disk
    which talked entirely about

    read(handle,offset, length)
    write(handle, offset, length)
    alloc(handle, near_handle, length, otherhints...)

    might well work out rather better. It also allows the disk to do fairly
    major relayout of data as it learns usage.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.047 / U:32.180 seconds]