SubjectRe: [patch for playing] Patch to support 4000 disks and maintain backward compatibility
Date
On Thursday 10 April 2003 05:08 pm, Roman Zippel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Badari Pulavarty wrote:
> > This patch addresses the backward compatibility with device nodes
> > issue. All the new disks will be addressed by only last major.
>
> This nicely demonstrates, that it's not exactly becoming nicer, when one
> has to deal with compatibility. This is one more reason to at least
> consider a more general solution, from which all drivers can benefit from.

I am all for more general solution (dynamic assignment), if I can get

(1) backward compatibility with device nodes
(2) device nodes get updated automagically whenever my
<major,minor> changes. (may be due to insmod/rmmod, reboot etc..)

I can't see (2) happening easily. I know that Greg KH is working on
udev (/dev/ memory filesystem). Once that happens, we have to change
drivers/subsystems (we need) to make dynamic allocation. All of this Is
going to happen for 2.6 ?

Thats why, I am trying to come out with half-cooked workable solution for 2.6.

Thanks,
Badari

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans