    SubjectRe: [patch for playing] Patch to support 4000 disks and maintain backward compatibility
    Date
    On Thursday 10 April 2003 05:08 pm, Roman Zippel wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Badari Pulavarty wrote:
    > > This patch addresses the backward compatibility with device nodes
    > > issue. All the new disks will be addressed by only last major.
    >
    > This nicely demonstrates, that it's not exactly becoming nicer, when one
    > has to deal with compatibility. This is one more reason to at least
    > consider a more general solution, from which all drivers can benefit from.

    I am all for more general solution (dynamic assignment), if I can get

    (1) backward compatibility with device nodes
    (2) device nodes get updated automagically whenever my
    <major,minor> changes. (may be due to insmod/rmmod, reboot etc..)

    I can't see (2) happening easily. I know that Greg KH is working on
    udev (/dev/ memory filesystem). Once that happens, we have to change
    drivers/subsystems (we need) to make dynamic allocation. All of this Is
    going to happen for 2.6 ?

    Thats why, I am trying to come out with half-cooked workable solution for 2.6.

    Thanks,
    Badari

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.046 / U:0.100 seconds]