SubjectRe: ide-problem still with 2.4.21-pre5-ac1
On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:

> > So you are saying the same thing I am, are you not?
>
> The problem was one about translation, not about capacity.

The *problem* was translation, the proposed *solution* was using the BIOS
values in preference to drive values would include capacity. Or I misread
the intent (or code).

I would think that the capacity should code from the drive, if the BIOS
geometry is clearly wrong from that capacity (no, I didn't define that)
then using it will/may cause problems in applications and perhaps the
kernel, although LBA should be used and geometry not an issue.

Feel free to read the original post otherwise, I thought using the BIOS
data was the intent, period.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc