SubjectRe: BitBucket: GPL-ed KitBeeper clone
Hi,

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> The distribution is absolutely fundamental, and _the_ reason why I use BK.

I agree, that this is an important aspect and for your kind of work it's
absolutely necessary.
But source management is more than just distributing and merging changes.
E.g. if I want to develop a driver, I would start like most people from a
stable base, that means 2.4. At a certain point the development splits
into a development and stable branch, eventually I also want to merge my
driver into the 2.5 tree.
This means I have to deal with 5 different source trees (branches), two
branches track external trees and I want to know what has been merged from
my development into my 2.4 and 2.5 stable branches, which I can use to
make official releases. I want to be able to push multiple changes as a
single change into the stable branches and it should be able to tell me
which changes are still left.
If there would be a free SCM system, which could do this, I could easily
do without a distributed option. Although I think as soon as it would be
this far it should be relatively easy to add a distribution mechanism (by
using a separate branch, which is only used for pulling changes). OTOH I
suspect that it will be very hard to add the other capabilities to bk
without a major redesign, as it's not a simple hierarchic structure
anymore.

bye, Roman

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.351 / U:23.948 seconds]