SubjectRe: devfs + PCI serial card = no extra serial ports
Quick question: What PCI serial port add on card works with devfs in
kernel 2.4.19 out of the box? No pissing around?

While I'm messing around with the one I got (that doesn't work) I need
one that does... any suggestions??

Thanks to all for the help!!

Ed Vance wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 3:39 PM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
>
>>On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 02:51:45PM -0800, Bryan Whitehead wrote:
>>
>>>It seems devfsd has an annoying "feature". I bought a PCI
>>>card to get a couple (2) more serial ports. The kernel doesn't
>>>seem to set up the serial ports at boot, so devfs never
>>>creates an entry. However, post boot, since there is no
>>>entries, I cannot configure the serial ports with setserial.
>>>So basically devfsd = no PCI based serial add on?
>>
>>Yep. This I pointed this out as a flaw to devfs a long, long time
>>(years!) ago, but Richard chose not to listen to me. Personally, I
>>solve this (and other) problems by simply refusing to use devfs.
>

> Ted,
>
> Will Bryan get the proper devfs entries if he patches serial.c to
> recognize his card at kernel initialization, or is there more
> weirdness expected?
>
> Best regards,
> Ed

Bryan Whitehead
SysAdmin - JPL - Interferometry Systems and Technology
Phone: 818 354 2903
driver@jpl.nasa.gov