SubjectRe: Make ipconfig.c work as a loadable module.
Hi Alan,

you wrote:
> > I'd prefer not to have to have thousands of special programs around
> > just to be able to boot my machines, especially when it was all in-
> > kernel up until this point.
> >
> > klibc yes, dietlibc with random other garbage in some random filesystem
> > which'd need maintaining - no thanks.
>
> You can build the dhcp client with glibc static into your initrd. Its hardly
> magic or special programs or random garbage, and last time I counted it came
> to one program. Dunno what the other 999 utilities your dhcp needs are ?

Sorry, but I must join Russel here. I have atleast one machine which has
a bootloader able to load exactly one file only. There is currently no
way to load an initrd. It would need to implement the whole (BOOTP+)TFTP
stuff again, just to get the initrd. So I was quite happy linux 2.4
still knows about mounting a NFS root filesystem without user-space
help.

Michael

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.055 / U:2.324 seconds]