    SubjectRe: [patch] "HT scheduler", sched-2.5.63-B3
    hi :)

    On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 07:20:34PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > How about something more like this (yeah, untested, but you get the idea):
    > the person who wakes up an interactive task gets the interactivity bonus
    > if the interactive task is already maxed out. I dunno how well this plays
    > with the X server, but assuming most clients use UNIX domain sockets, the
    > wake-ups _should_ be synchronous, so it should work well to say "waker
    > gets bonus".

    i used a similar method to correctly account resource usage
    (cpu,energy,..) of processes in my diploma thesis:
    work done by a sever (e.g. X) is accounted to the current client,
    giving more resources to the server
    http://admingilde.org/~martin/papers/

    implementation is working but far from being mergeable...

    RE: the patch, i think using sleep_avg is a wrong metric from the
    beginning.

    in addition, timeslices should be shortest for high priority processes
    (depending on dynamic prio, not static)

    but these are of course just simple statements and i don't have
    a patch that makes a really good scheduler :(

    --
    CU, / Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen, Germany
    Martin Waitz // [Tali on IRCnet] [tali.home.pages.de] _________

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:3.642 / U:0.072 seconds]