SubjectRE: HT and idle = poll
Linus,

That's correct. Basically mwait is similar to hlt, but you can avoid IPI to wake up the processor waiting. A write to the address specified by monitor wakes up the processor, unlike hlt.

So our plan is to use monitor/mwait in the idle loop, for example, in the kernel to lower the latency.

Jun

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.085 / U:0.112 seconds]