    SubjectRe: [patch] "HT scheduler", sched-2.5.63-B3

    On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > We should notice automatically that X is "interactive", thanks to the
    > fact that interactive tasks wait for it. That's the whole point of my
    > very simple patch..

    the whole compilation (gcc tasks) will be rated 'interactive' as well,
    because an 'interactive' make process and/or shell process is waiting on
    it. I tried something like this before, and it didnt work.

    > So don't argue about things that are obviously broken. Renicing X is not
    > the answer, and in fact there have been multiple reports that it makes
    > XMMS skip sound because it just _hides_ the problem and moves it
    > elsewhere.

    the xine has been analyzed quite well (which is analogous to the XMMS
    problem), it's not X that makes XMMS skip, it's the other CPU-bound tasks
    on the desktops that cause it to skip occasionally. Increasing the
    priority of xine to just -1 or -2 solves the skipping problem.

    Ingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.030 / U:0.816 seconds]