    SubjectRe: [patch] "HT scheduler", sched-2.5.63-B3

    On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > Pardon the suggestion of a dumb hueristic, feel free to ignore me:
    > would it work to run-first processes that have modified their iopl()
    > level? i.e. "if you access hardware directly, we'll treat you specially
    > in the scheduler"?

    See, the thing is, I don't actually believe that X is _special_ in this

    If we have an interactive process that has been waiting nicely for
    somebody else (ie it is "interactive" in that it tends to run quickly and
    then wait again, without blowing away the cache), then I think that
    "somebody else" should be automatically getting some of the extra
    attention - just for latency reasons.

    It's not an X special-case issue. It's a completely _generic_ "low-latency
    service to interactive tasks" issue.

    Put another way:

    Imagine other servers running on the same machine. Imagine, if you will, a
    logging service (or IM server, or whatever) that gets overwhelmed when it
    has thousands of interactive clients on an overloaded machine. We know the
    clients care about latency (clearly true since they sleep a lot - they
    can't be about bandwidth: the logic only triggers if the clients have lots
    of interactivity bonus points), so if we notice that this server is waking
    up a lot of these latency-critical clients, doesn't it make sense to make
    the _server_ as latency-critical too?

    See? My small patch hits _exactly_ that case. It misses a lot of
    opportunities (it really only works with synchronous wakeups, so in
    practice it probably ends up working mainly for things like UNIX domain
    sockets and regular pipes), but that's an implementation issue, not a
    "special case" thing.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.028 / U:102.272 seconds]