    SubjectRe: About /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts
        Hi Kasper :)

    Kasper Dupont dixit:
    > > Miles Bader dixit:
    > > > /var is clearly the right place for this; if /var isn't mounted
    > > > initially, I'd suggest that mount should simply not update any file
    > > > at that point, and the init-script that mounts /var can be
    > > > responsible from propagating information from /proc/mounts to
    > > > /var/whatever.
    > > In an embedded system I built a time ago, /etc/mtab was first a
    > > symlink to /proc/mounts, but after a while I made it a symlink to
    > > /var/run/mtab. It worked OK, AFAIK.
    > Did mount actually update the mtab file? The version of mount on
    > my system would not.

    Of course not, it is just a symlink to a proc file ;))) I must
    say that it worked OK but really only ext2 filesystems and a CDROM
    were mounted, with default options. Don't know if the symlink would
    have been worked if special options were used. Now that I remember,
    we only use 'special' options for the CDROM (to allow mounting by
    normal users) and the devpts (the permissions).

    Raúl

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.022 / U:88.684 seconds]