SubjectRe: turning off kernel dhcp klient on _one_ nic?
On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 08:13:18 -0800 Randy.Dunlap <rddunlap@osdl.org> wrote:

| On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:30:35 +0100 Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <roy@karlsbakk.net> wrote:
|
| | is it possible to turn off the kernel dhcp client / kernel autoconfiguration
| | on _one_ nic? We're using dual gigabit cards from intel (e1000), so splitting
| | up modular/static drivers obviously won't do the job. I've search through the
| | kernel doc, but I can't find anything...
|
| I've seen that, er, scenario, too.
| I should have fixed it last night, but I had other things to do.
|
| Can['t] you just mess around with (depending on distro, not kernel)
| something like /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethN (just rename
| one of them so that it won't be used)?
|
| This should totally disable half of the dual NIC. Do you want to only
| disable dhcp on half of it, but keep it usable otherwise?
| You can edit ./ifcfg-ethN and change the line
| BOOTPROTO=dhcp
| BOOTPROTO=
|
| Something like that should work, but I haven't done it yet.

I did this and it works. I had /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth[01]
but I only want one of them alive, so I renamed ifcfg-eth1 to
not-ifcfg-ethbackup (since the ifcfg* files are searched for as /ifcfg*/).
Then I renamed ifcfg-eth0 to ifcfg-ethmain and (by using advice from
the thread on "NICs trading places ?"), I used 'nameif' to name the
eth0 interface to 'ethmain' by making an /etc/mactab file containing:

ethmain mac.address.for.live.interface

and I modified /etc/rc.d/init.d/network to run 'nameif' to change
the interface names as listed in the /etc/mactab file.

--
~Randy