    SubjectRe: anyone ever done multicast AF_UNIX sockets?
    From
       From: Chris Friesen <cfriesen@nortelnetworks.com>
    Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 13:07:45 -0500

    Suppose I have a process that waits on UDP packets, the unified local
    IPC that we're discussing, other unix sockets, and stdin. It's awfully
    nice if the local IPC can be handled using the same select/poll
    mechanism as all the other messaging.

    So use UDP, you still haven't backed up your performance
    claims. Experiment, set the SO_NO_CHECK socket option to
    "1" and see if that makes a difference performance wise
    for local clients.

    But if performance is "so important", then you shouldn't really be
    shying away from the shared memory suggestion and nothing is going to
    top that (it eliminates all the copies, using flat out AF_UNIX over
    UDP only truly eliminates some header processing, nothing more, the
    copies are still there with AF_UNIX).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.024 / U:94.372 seconds]