SubjectRe: BitBucket: GPL-ed KitBeeper clone
On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, John Bradford wrote:

> > > I haven't seen a single post to the list saying, "If we were designing
> > > a version control system dedicated to the Linux kernel, what would you
> > > like to see in it?". Before I started work on my bug database, I
> > > spent a week or so discussing it on the list with people.
> >
> > Larry spent a lot of time talking to people directly about such things.
>
> I meant in relation to Bit Bucket.
>
> If the need for Bit Keeper to make a profit for Bit Mover excludes
> Linux developers from using it, the most logical thing to do in my
> opinion is to start from scratch and write a version control system
> dedicated to furthering Linux kernel development.
>
> Compatibility with Bit Keeper should not be a goal of that project.
>
> John.

Hmmm. Compatibility with existing things is always one of the
considerations of any new product (or project). If compatibility
can be achieved without a significant trade-off in performance,
then it should become one of the goals.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.139 / U:0.152 seconds]