    SubjectRe: 3c59x gives HWaddr FF:FF:...
    >>>>> "thomas" == Thomas Backlund <tmb@iki.fi> writes:

    thomas> ----- Original Message -----
    thomas> From: "J.A. Magallon" <jamagallon@able.es>
    thomas> |
    thomas> | So, 3 options:
    thomas> | - the 905C goes to trashcan
    thomas> | - the driver fails to initialize something (I dont trust this...)
    thomas> | - winblows messed the card eeprom...any way to tidy it up again ?
    thomas> |
    thomas> | Thanks everybody...
    thomas> |
    thomas> | --
    thomas> | J.A. Magallon <jamagallon@able.es> \ Software is
    thomas> like sex:
    thomas> | werewolf.able.es \ It's better when
    thomas> it's free
    thomas> | Mandrake Linux release 9.1 (Bamboo) for i586
    thomas> | Linux 2.4.21-pre6-jam1 (gcc 3.2.2 (Mandrake Linux 9.1 3.2.2-3mdk))

    thomas> Since you have MDK 9.1, could you try the 3rdparty/3c90x module from
    thomas> mdk kernel-source and see if it works...
    thomas> It is 3Com's own driver... that is supposed to work with that card...

    thomas> If it won't work, maybe it's the card that is broken... messed up...
    thomas> If it works, the bug is in the 3c59x module...

    In my experience, that bug is related with acpi. In a kernel compiled
    without acpi, the card works perfectly, in a kernel compiled with acpi
    it depend on the phase of the moon and similar things :(

    The driver for some reason sets too much 1. I have one of my machines
    conected using dhcp, and it almost never got the right address the
    first boot (a reset _usually_ fix the problem, not always). Some
    times, only some bits are set in the mac address, I think that a
    couple of times, I have got a MAC with all FF in the address.

    Worse still is the fact, that sometimes it is not the MAC address what
    is afected, it is also the vendor ip/product id, that makes that the
    driver is not recognized by the driver module.

    I have tried both, the standard driver and the 3com "official" driver,
    both have that problem. I already informend Andrew Grover about the
    problem, but he is not sure what is happening.

    Later, Juan "wondering what sane network card's are still on the market".

    are different -- Larry McVoy