Subjectinw/outw performance
Date
Hello All!

[ please CC me - I'm not subscribed ]

[ do not know where else to send - so it goes here,
I hope some-one more qualified can advice something ]

I have a little question which comes down to two little
CPU instructions - inw/outw.

I have a proprietary PCI board (PMD MC2140 motion controller with PLX).
I have wrote device driver for it (heap of ioctl()s - not more).

Now my company investigates possibilities to go to high-performance
market - and I have hit the problem with performance.

Communication with controller (sending of the command and reading back
response) looks like this:

outw(cmd_port, command);
while( !(inw(status_port)&READY) );
outw(data_port, param1);
while( !(inw(status_port)&READY) );
outw(data_port, param2);
while( !(inw(status_port)&READY) );
outw(data_port, paramN);
while( !(inw(status_port)&COMMAND_DONE) );

resp_data1 = inw(data_port);
while( !(inw(status_port)&READY) );
resp_dataM = inw(data_port);
while( !(inw(status_port)&READY) );

And actually what I have found that on my development P3/1GHz system
every inw() takes more that 3us. I wasn't measuring outw() yet - but
I do not expect its timing to be better.

Whole communication sequence on average takes ~55us. I need to execute
tens of commands for every user request - and time goes to some hefty
3millis just to program motion controller. And on deployment (embedded)
platform this is going to be even worse.

Okay. Our motion controller has 20MHz clock inside. So for every 50
cycles of CPU I have only 1 cycle of motion controller. 3us ~ 1k
commands of CPU, and at top 20MHz/3us == 6,(6) commands of motion
controller.

Am I right in my calculations? I have hit the limit of our device
bandwidth?
Is there any other way to communicate over PCI bus with controller?
- I can ask our hw enginers to implement something, if there is something
possible to implement to improve performance.

I'm using interrupt-driven IO to communicate with user space. I have
to execute several commands with motion controller: and it takes 200-400us

just to clear interrupt state of motion controller - Is it okay timing for

interrupt handler? Or should I try move stuff to BH or something like
this?

Thanks in advance.

--- Regards&Wishes! With respect Ihar "Philips" Filipau, Phil for friends