SubjectRe: Poor performance with pcnet32 on SMP
On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Dave Hansen wrote:

> I have no problems copying between two 2.5.65 machines. In fact, my
> speeds are ~10 MBytes/sec. (yes, megabytes)

I lied, I didn't give up. This struck a chord with me for some reason. I
have the following

A - 2.5 SMP machine
B - 2.4 UP machine on *same* subnet as A
C - Web server on different subnet, behind firewall but same LAN

I have a 10MB file that I dd'd from /dev/zero on the webserver

wget http://C/~mel/10mb_file

Speed starts at 7kB/s and drops slowly to a crawl. Down with that sort of
thing. I set up a port forwarder (called aproxy) on machine B that
forwards port 80 on B to port 80 on C and try the wget again.

wget http://B/~mel/10mb_file (obviously this forwarding to machine C)

Download starts at 30kB/s and maintains it. A wget from B to C can
download at about 50kB/s but I am assuming that it is related to port
forwarding overhead as much as anything else. I am not sure what this
result means but I thought it was significant. It would seem that as well
as being SMP related, connecting to a different subnet or connecting
through a firewall is also significant.

--
Mel Gorman
MSc Student, University of Limerick