SubjectRe: Ptrace hole / Linux 2.2.25
> I do already host patches for current kernels which I use at work.  What
> about just keeping a combined security and fixup patch set for the current
> tree available for people to download and apply with instructions on doing
> so and an index of what the patch contains and why?
>
> Given that the patches come from reputable sources (for example the ext3
> patches for 2.4.20 and the ptrace patch) they can be
> included without too much thought and some testing. I could
> maintain this, and it could be available either on kernel.org or just from
> my website, no matter either way. As I said, I'm already doing this so it
> wouldn't be a huge bother anyway.
>
> If anyone wants this to happen, let me know as it will then happen...
> Otherwise I'll continue to do it as I am now anyway, and everyone
> is welcome to use this source for patches to the current tree.

I think this would be valuable .. the other thing that really needs to
be present is a "common vendor" kernel where changes that are common
to most distros are merged (eg O(1) scheduler, etc). Personally, I think
that's what mainline should be doing ... but if other people disagree,
then I, at least, would see value in a separate tree to do this.

M.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.113 / U:0.160 seconds]