    SubjectRe: Ptrace hole / Linux 2.2.25
    Martin J. Bligh wrote:
    >>>But if you assume this, what are the official releases for anyway?
    >>Well, official releases have always been sort of arbitrary for the
    >>kernel... just labeled releases along the course of development.
    >>Although with the recent addition of the -rc patches, they tend to
    >>ensure the latest round of development at least resulted in a stable
    >>release. But look at all the major vendors - their 2.4.18 release, for
    >>example, may include whatever the latest pre-patch was at the time.
    > I don't agree that's always been true by any means. It may currently
    > be true, but that's far from a good thing. The current state of divergance
    > the distros have from mainline 2.4 is IMHO the biggest problem Linux has
    > today.
    > The distros inherently have a conflict of interest getting changes merged
    > back into mainline ... it's time consuming to do, it provides them no real
    > benefit (they have to maintain their huge trees anyway), and it actively
    > damages the "value add" they provide.

    Just to underscore Arjan's point: non-mainline patches are very
    actively discouraged at Red Hat. As time progresses the maintenance
    cost of EACH non-mainline patch increases. Non-mainline patches do not
    get the benefits of wide community testing, review, and feedback.
    Further, Red Hat employees in my experience typically land patches in
    the community _first_ -- witness my netdriver work (goes me -> Marcelo
    -> RH), DaveM's net stack work, and Alan's -ac tree.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.021 / U:151.044 seconds]