    SubjectRe: 2.5.65 interactivity
    Maciej Soltysiak <solt@dns.toxicfilms.tv> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am experiencing dramatic interactivity degradation when
    > apt-get upgrade is setting up the packages under X, with X running with
    > nice 0 (it previously had -10)
    >
    > x-terminal-emualtor windows stop getting refreshed, xmms stops playing,
    > and after a few seconds everything stops responding and gets going after
    > another few seconds.

    First thing we need to work out is whether it is a CPU scheduler thing
    or if it is a VM/MM/block/fs latency problem.

    - How much memory do you have?

    - Are your disks runnning in DMA mode? (run hdparm /dev/hda)

    - Send `vmstat 1' traces from when the problem is happening.

    - If you nice up the X server, does that help?

    - Try setting /proc/sys/vm/swappiness to zero

    - Try decreasing /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio to 15

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.021 / U:0.564 seconds]