SubjectRE: RS485 communication
Choice 3.

create a program that works like a ppp tunnetl through the internet.
Instead ot using the tty of RS485 on the command line, use a pseudo
tty. Then write some nasty code that will read the master pseudo and
send that pppd out the RS485 port via its own protocol. so the pppd
data will be burried in the protocol of the middle man that runs.

Of course, ppp is point-to-point. So I'm not sure how you'll overcome
that problem. You'll have to pair up the clients to the server if you
have multiple hosts on one RS485 line. In other words, ppp is not pmp.
point-to-mesh. Its point A to point B.

Chris