SubjectRe: 2.5.65-mm2
At 07:36 AM 3/20/2003 -0700, Steven Cole wrote:
>On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 21:27, Ed Tomlinson wrote:
> to be

> to long

> http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/2.5/2.5.65/2.5.65-mm2/broken-ou

> > > Sorry, didn't have much time for a lot of testing, but no miracles
> > > occurred. With 5 minutes of testing 2.5.65-mm2 and dbench 24 on ext3
> > > and that patch reverted (first hunk had to be manually fixed), I don't
> > > see any improvement. Still the same long long delays in trying to use
> > > Evolution.
> >
> > Steven,
> >
> > Do things improve with the patch below applied? You have to backout the
> > schedule-tuneables patch before appling it.
> >
> > Ed Tomlinson
>
>[patch snipped]
>
>I tried that patch, and the bad behavior with the Evolution "Compose a
>Message" window remains. With a load of dbench 12, I had stalls of many
>seconds before I could type something. Also, here is an additional
>symptom. If I move the Evolution "Compose" window around rapidly, it
>leaves a smear of itself on the screen under itself. With all -mm2
>variants, this smear stays for an intolerably long time (tens of
>seconds) while that window does not record keyboard strokes. 2.5.65-bk
>on the other hand exhibits much more benign behavior.

This is a side effect of Ingo's (nice!) latency change methinks. When you
have several cpu hogs running (dbench), and they are cleaning your cpu's
clock by using their full bandwidth to attain maximum throughput, and they
then break up their timeslice in order to provide you with more
responsiveness, and then their _cumulative_ sleep time between (round
robin!) cpu hard burns is added to their sleep_avg, (boy is this a long
sentence) you will (likely) find that they run at a highly elevated
priority and starve the devil out of everything else because they can not
possibly get enough cpu to eat the sleep_avg they have been given (only way
to reduce their priority without forking). Virgin .65 is also subject to
the positive feedback loop (irman's process load is worst case methinks,
and rounding down only ~hides it).

I have a really horrid looking sched.c right now that works around some of
this problem in disgusting ways. If you want to try it, give me a holler
before tomorrow morning (slice 'n dice resumes) and I'll rip it out and
send it to you. Fair warning though, if you have good taste, don't look at
it at all before applying. There are a few of spots I wouldn't even want
to _try_ to justify. I don't think dbench will be able to dork it up, but
irman's process load (horrible thing) now can again. (it's pure
research... that says a lot;)

Bottom line is that once cpu hogs are falsely determined to be sleepers,
positive feedback kills you.

-Mike

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.093 / U:0.948 seconds]