SubjectRe: BitBucket: GPL-ed *notrademarkhere* clone
Jeff Garzik wrote:

> My counter-question is, why not improve an _existing_ open source SCM to
> read and write BitKeeper files? Why do we need yet another brand new
> project?

I don't disagree with that. However, the question you posited was
"would one be useful", and I think the answer is unequivocally yes.
Furthermore, I don't agree with the "compatibility == bad" assumption I
read into your message.

> AFAICS, a BK clone would just further divide resources and mindshare. I
> personally _want_ an open source SCM that is as good as, or better, than
> BitKeeper. The open source world needs that, and BitKeeper needs the
> competition. A BK clone may work with BitKeeper files, but I don't see
> it ever being as good as BK, because it will always be playing catch-up.

Yes. Personally, I've spent quite a bit of time with OpenCM after a
suggestion from Ted T'so. It's looking quite promising to me, although
I haven't yet used it to maintain a large project.

-hpa

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans