    SubjectRe: BitBucket: GPL-ed *notrademarkhere* clone
    Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > My counter-question is, why not improve an _existing_ open source SCM to
    > read and write BitKeeper files? Why do we need yet another brand new
    > project?

    I don't disagree with that. However, the question you posited was
    "would one be useful", and I think the answer is unequivocally yes.
    Furthermore, I don't agree with the "compatibility == bad" assumption I
    read into your message.

    > AFAICS, a BK clone would just further divide resources and mindshare. I
    > personally _want_ an open source SCM that is as good as, or better, than
    > BitKeeper. The open source world needs that, and BitKeeper needs the
    > competition. A BK clone may work with BitKeeper files, but I don't see
    > it ever being as good as BK, because it will always be playing catch-up.

    Yes. Personally, I've spent quite a bit of time with OpenCM after a
    suggestion from Ted T'so. It's looking quite promising to me, although
    I haven't yet used it to maintain a large project.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.045 / U:1.288 seconds]