SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] cvsps support for parsing BK->CVS kernel tree logs
On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> this is a critical feature for me, note that if Larry agreed of tagging
> the tree with the atomic-date of the patchset extracting those patchset
> would be an order of magnitude faster, I would pay for the RTT latency 1
> per patchset, not once per file and it would be possible to teach cvsps
> to learn diffing against the tag if it matches. Anyways stuff works now
> so I'll just wait for the RTT all the time w/o being able to use the
> real bandwidth provided by my link. As soon as the CVS tarball is
> available I'll use it for the large patch extractions.

I just looked briefly at the 'cvs server' protocol. It looks fairly easy
to have a 'keepalive' session with a server where multiple diffs of
multiple files are requested. This isn't a 5 minute fix though, but I've
been bothered by the RTT per file as well, because we use 'ssh' to
authenticate cvs access here, and each file is a complete ssh handshake
which is very slow.

> One more feature wish (besides the python inteface for a quick gui) is
> the C^c killing cvsps too during a -g patch extraction, you probably
> should check the return code of cvs when extracting the patches. Right
> now I press C^z and then I killall cvsps ;)

Already fixed in my code. I won't bother you with a diff.

> BTW, I think cvsps should be shipped together with cvs and integrated
> over time in the unstable branch, this is a major feature for any cvs
> user. Storing metadata locally is the way to go, over time the whole
> tree should be cached local (as an option). This is actually the major
> cvs improvement I seen since years. And I'm glad I can contribute to it
> unlike many kernel developers out there.

Thanks for your support,
David

--
| David Mansfield |