SubjectRe: 2.4 vm, program load, page faulting, ...

On Monday, March 17, 2003 Rik van Riel wrote:

> The mmap() syscall only sets up the VMA info, it doesn't fill in the page
tables. That only happens when the process page faults.

> Note that filling in a bunch of page table entries mapping already present
pagecache pages at exec() time might be a good idea. It's just that nobody
has gotten around to that yet...

What doesn't make sense to me is that a program's working set isn't loaded
before it starts execution. Can the working set be approximated using the
address_space object? Then the kernel would know what pages should be
allocated when the text and data segments are memory mapped in binary load.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.046 / U:1.988 seconds]