SubjectCant install printer / RH8.0 SMP kernel
Date
Im seeing an odd problem when trying to install a printer
(either HP or Epson) on the parallel port of a SMP machine.

The printtool job runs and shows NO errors, but when you
are done, there is neither an /etc/printcap nor any files
below /var/spool/lpd. Needless to say the test plot fails.

This is with the default RH8.0 SMP kernel (possibly updated
by up2date last week).

Is there a known problem with the RH kernel and printtool?
Everything there is provided as modules, I tried loading
everything I could see that had to do with parallel ports,
still nothing.

My intention is to pull the sources for the 2.4.20 kernel
and build it myself (with these things NOT as modules) but
I would appreciate any insights into the problem.

--
Reg.Clemens
reg@dwf.com