    SubjectRe: Linux on 16-bit processors
    try elks:

    http://elks.sourceforge.net/

    the economics aren't really there as far as I can tell given the cost of
    embeded 386 and 486 class cpu's to say nothing of tiny powerpc and arm
    cpu's.

    joelja

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 micklweiss@gmx.net wrote:

    > I'm interested on running Linux on some less powerful, cheaper 16 bit
    > systems. I would like to know if there is a slimmed down version of the kernel (any
    > version 2.2+) that can run on 16-bit CPUs. I know that linux "requires" a
    > 32-bit CPU, but I know that it has run on less. I'm interested in any arch -
    > really.
    > I can't seem to find a slimmed down version of the kernel. Any projects out
    > there? Something with decent performance would be cool too. :o)
    >
    > I'm not apart of the list, so if you could pleace CC: any replies to this
    > e-mail (micklweiss@gmx.net) that would be great.
    >
    > I asked before at a local user group (southflorida embedded user group)..
    > and this is what info they got me. I just cut-n-pasted.
    >
    > <cut>
    >
    > To: Mick Weiss
    > From: "wblake@emsys.net" <wblake@emsys.net>
    >
    > glad to help. you have interesting research.
    > Most handhelds these days are 32 bit processors, even pagers. Mostly some
    > ARM variant especially Intel StrongArm.
    >
    > The main obstacle to running Linux on smaller (cheaper) CPUs seems to be an
    > MMU which Linux and most Unixes expect. For a Linux work alike, some RTOS's
    > will have various POSIX layers corresponding to standard C library,
    > real-time facilities, threads, and shell utilities. So if an application
    > uses POSIX compliant calls, it can move from *ix to one of these operating
    > systems.
    > Most *Ix work alikes Lynx, and QNX claim POSIX compliance. Likewise
    > embedded RTOSes like Red Hat eCos, rtxc, mentor ati nucleus, vrtx, vxworks
    > etc.
    > Even Microsoft supports many of these POSIX interfaces as do other non Unix
    > OS's like Digital (now HP) VMS, IBM MVS, IBM VM etc
    >
    > http://www.embedded.com/story/OEG20010312S0073

    Joel Jaeggli Academic User Services joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
    -- PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E --
    resort of the scoundrel. With all due respect to an enlightened but

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.031 / U:0.052 seconds]