SubjectRe: Linux on 16-bit processors
try elks:

http://elks.sourceforge.net/

the economics aren't really there as far as I can tell given the cost of
embeded 386 and 486 class cpu's to say nothing of tiny powerpc and arm
cpu's.

joelja

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 micklweiss@gmx.net wrote:

> I'm interested on running Linux on some less powerful, cheaper 16 bit
> systems. I would like to know if there is a slimmed down version of the kernel (any
> version 2.2+) that can run on 16-bit CPUs. I know that linux "requires" a
> 32-bit CPU, but I know that it has run on less. I'm interested in any arch -
> really.
> I can't seem to find a slimmed down version of the kernel. Any projects out
> there? Something with decent performance would be cool too. :o)
>
> I'm not apart of the list, so if you could pleace CC: any replies to this
> e-mail (micklweiss@gmx.net) that would be great.
>
> I asked before at a local user group (southflorida embedded user group)..
> and this is what info they got me. I just cut-n-pasted.
>
> <cut>
>
> To: Mick Weiss
> From: "wblake@emsys.net" <wblake@emsys.net>
>
> glad to help. you have interesting research.
> Most handhelds these days are 32 bit processors, even pagers. Mostly some
> ARM variant especially Intel StrongArm.
>
> The main obstacle to running Linux on smaller (cheaper) CPUs seems to be an
> MMU which Linux and most Unixes expect. For a Linux work alike, some RTOS's
> will have various POSIX layers corresponding to standard C library,
> real-time facilities, threads, and shell utilities. So if an application
> uses POSIX compliant calls, it can move from *ix to one of these operating
> systems.
> Most *Ix work alikes Lynx, and QNX claim POSIX compliance. Likewise
> embedded RTOSes like Red Hat eCos, rtxc, mentor ati nucleus, vrtx, vxworks
> etc.
> Even Microsoft supports many of these POSIX interfaces as do other non Unix
> OS's like Digital (now HP) VMS, IBM MVS, IBM VM etc
>
> http://www.embedded.com/story/OEG20010312S0073

Joel Jaeggli Academic User Services joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
-- PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E --
resort of the scoundrel. With all due respect to an enlightened but

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.041 / U:1.276 seconds]