SubjectRe: 2.4.20-ac2 Memory Leak?
On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 00:46, Greg Stark wrote:
> Martin Josefsson <gandalf@wlug.westbo.se> writes:
>
> > This can be the source of your problems, connections can get very long
> > timeouts and stay in ip_conntrack.
>
> Is there a way to list the connections and confirm this is the problem?
> It seems it would require an awful lot of connections to consume megabytes of
> memory.

cat /proc/net/ip_conntrack

The third field is the timeout in seconds.
The fourth field is the state of the connection, if it's TIME_WAIT with
a large timeout then it's the list handling bug. (iirc it was TIME_WAIT
that showed the problem...)

> Also, I've looked high and low and can't find this anywhere, how do i tune the
> timeouts connections get? I have certain protocols that potentially receive
> very little traffic and I want to make sure they don't time out.

The default tcp timeout is 5 days for esatblished connections.

There's a patch in patch-o-matic that enables you to tune the timeouts
without having to edit the source. Instructions on how to get
patch-o-matic are availiable on http://www.netfilter.org

--
/Martin

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.