From: Ingo Oeser [mailto:ingo.oeser@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de]
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2003 8:12 AM
To: Terry Barnaby
Cc: Michael Madore; Justin T. Gibbs; linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Reproducible SCSI Error with Adaptec 7902

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 04:17:59PM +0000, Terry Barnaby wrote:
> The Seagate ST336607LW has firmware: 0004.
> Seagate have stated to me that this is the latest.
> They have also stated to me:
>
> Issuing an unrecognized or illegal command to the drive can cause the
> drive to go into a hardware fault mode where it will no longer respond,
> and may or may not respond to a SCSI BUS reset. It seems, in this case,
> the drive will no longer respond to any commands issued by the
> controller.
>
> Is this "feature" now common on SCSI drives ????

Could we add a KERN_WARNING printk in sd.c quoting/referencing
this message on inquiry detecting this device?

So sysadmins who are used to SCSI being robust could return the
drive to their vendors in exchange to a drive working along the
SCSI specs after reading this message.

Thanks in the name of the sysadmins.

Regards

Ingo Oeser

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.045 / U:2.880 seconds]