SubjectWeirdness with 2.4.20-ck4
From
So I tried out 2.4.20-ck4 on my server box, which continually leans
towards the experimental because, well, it seems to work fine.

For 13 days, everything was peachy. Then on the 14th morning I wake
up and dhcp3-server is not responding timely, since my laptop
is unable to acquire an IP address automatically. I serial in and
init has gone D and is eating 99.8% of the CPU.

Every single process under init was DEFUNCT!

New processes also were defunct as well, after being started. I guess
bash was somehow not affected when I logged in.

I can't provide a dmesg, since the machine eventually stopped responding
and I had to hard reboot it. But unless I know for sure what's going on
soon, I'll need to move back to a vanilla kernel or perhaps try out
2.4.20aa, without the rest of the 'desktop' tuning stuff that I don't
really make use of.

Sorry I can't give much info, except possibly my .config. You can get it
at http://triplehelix.org/~joshk/linux/config.gz. If this happens again
I'll be sure to get some pstree output logged somewhere. (Would slabinfo
be useful too in this kind of situation?)

Regards
Josh

--
New PGP public key: 0x27AFC3EE

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.035 / U:2.604 seconds]