SubjectRe: 2.4.20 instability on bigmem systems?
Date
On Sunday 16 March 2003 18:26, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> If it didn't behave badly then it won't help to look at the stats.

I'm seriously at my wits end. (Not because of you! I hate vague
problems...) I have no idea why it behaved itself this time, just like i
have no idea why it misbehaves.

Right now, I'm back to running 2.4.19 with the inode.c patch from one of the
2.4.19-preXX-aaY kernels (see
http://castandcrew.com/~gregory/lkmlstuff/burpr/2.4.19/patches) as the most
stable thing we've gotten so far.

I'm going to write some scripts to run out of cron ever 5 minutes (or maybe
even every minute) to collect meminfo, slabinfo, ps output, and whatever
else i can think of. What else would be useful to help you track down
these problems?

Hopefully, the next time the system goes to hell, I'll have _something_ to
give you.

As a side question, is bigmem >2GB? I.e., if I pass "mem=2048m" to the
kernel from lilo, will the bigmem stuff for the VM be disabled, or should I
instead build a new kernel with high memory support turned off? Also, with
highmem support turned off, the max memory is 2GB, right? I may well just
ignore the high 6GB out of desperation to get a stable system until 2.6 is
released.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Working on a migrain,
Gregory