    SubjectRe: 2.5.64-mm6
    Alexander Hoogerhuis <alexh@ihatent.com> wrote:

    > I've used tried the -mm-kernels since they've actually made
    > 2.5-kernels usable on my laptop lately (Compaq Evo800c), but
    > 2.5.64-mm2 and onwards doesnt work with X anymore. I run 4.3.0-r1 from
    > the Gentoo unstable "branch".
    >
    > with -mm1 I X coming up just nicely, and now the screen just goes
    > black after trying to start X, and it seems related to DRM.

    I have a radeon card here. Just tried it. The X server starts up OK but as
    soon as I run tuxracer, some ioctl down in the radeon driver keeps on timing
    out waiting for the FIFO, spins for ten milliseconds in-kernel and the X
    server immediately calls the ioctl again. The whole thing is bust. I went
    all the way back to 2.5.39, where it is still bust. 2.4.21-pre5 is OK
    though.

    So it looks like my breakage is different from yours.

    Could you please try just 2.5.64 plus
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.5/2.5.64/2.5.64-mm6/broken-out/linus.patch

    That will tell us if it is a -mm bug or a -linus bug.

    It it is the latter, and if you're feeling really keen then could you search through the patches at
    http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/2.5/badari/
    and work out exactly which one introduced the problem?

    Each of those patches is against 2.5.64. The chronological order is:

    cset-1.1085-to-1.1085.txt.gz
    cset-1.1085-to-1.1086.txt.gz
    cset-1.1085-to-1.1089.txt.gz
    cset-1.1085-to-1.1090.txt.gz
    cset-1.1085-to-1.1091.txt.gz
    cset-1.1085-to-1.1094.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1075.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1077.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1106.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1107.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1110.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1122.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1123.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1124.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1125.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1127.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1131.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1137.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1160.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1166.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1168.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1171.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1173.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1174.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1175.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1177.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1101.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1113.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1119.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1147.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1154.txt.gz
    cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1157.txt.gz

    Thanks.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.025 / U:118.900 seconds]