    SubjectRe: 2.5 XFree and nvidia geforce.
    On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:40:50 +0100, Ducrot Bruno said:

    > One of the main issue for me (I don't want flame please) is
    > that it kill acpi and/or apm. Since it's more important for
    > for me to get suspension working, I can not use any
    > drivers provided by nVidia unless of course they implement

    No flames intended - I just have different requirements than you do,
    and suspending hasn't been an issue for me, and I've not bothered
    trying to get it to work.

    I've seen a workaround posted for the nvidia suspend issue - the trick was to
    configure a suspend script that apmd/whatever would call, and include
    a '/usr/bin/chvt 1' in it. So on the way down, it would change off the
    nvidia-controlled VT, and all would be well.

    > BTW, XFree4.3.0 is out, and your GeForce is supported.

    Oh, the free driver has "supported" the card for ages. My point was that (a)
    the free driver isn't 2-d accelerated as much as the NVidia driver (the 'nv'
    free driver can average 10-15% CPU by itself, and the 'nvidia' closed driver
    only 1-2% while feeling much quicker), and (b) the NVidia driver "just works"
    in finding the video port on the docking station when I'm docked - the 'nv'
    free drivers would find the LCD screen fine and not find the docking port

    Valdis Kletnieks
    Computer Systems Senior Engineer
    Virginia Tech

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.019 / U:17.864 seconds]