    SubjectRe: Never ever use word BitKeeper if Larry does not like you
    From
    Roger Luethi said:
    <snip>
    > I contend that quoting lawyer advice in a flamewar on a community list
    > should automatically invoke Godwin's law, and just to be on the safe
    > side, I let it be known that you all sound like a bunch of Nazis. EOT.
    >
    > Roger

    FYI:

    The Jargon Dictionary : Terms : The G Terms : Godwin's Law

    Godwin's Law
    Godwin's Law prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer,
    the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
    There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is
    over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever
    argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the
    existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However
    there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering
    of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be
    unsuccessful.

    Pay special attention to that last sentence. :)

    -Sandalle

    --
    PGP Key 0x5C8D199A5A317214
    http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5A317214

    eric@sandall.us | http://www.sourcemage.org/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.022 / U:29.516 seconds]