SubjectRe: 2.5 XFree and nvidia geforce.
On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 04:55:54PM -0500, wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:16:15 +0200, Bongani Hlope said:
> > If you don't inteand to run 3d applications, then you don't need the
> > nvidia drivers (both for 2.4 and 2.5), but if you want 3d acceleration,
> > the you best bet is 2.4 + nvidia
> For reasons I don't claim to understand, the nvidia drivers have much
> better 2D acceleration as well. And with the patches from
> they work acceptably under 2.5.64, modulo a few issues:
> At least on my Dell laptop (GeForce 440 2Go), the 'GLX' extension will wedge up
> the X server (ctl-alt-del still reboots, so the kernel is still there).
> Restarting the X server hangs the machine sometimes.
> I'm going to take a shot at debugging those two issues now that my office is
> remodelled and I have a fighting chance of hooking something to the serial
> port for debugging. ;)

One of the main issue for me (I don't want flame please) is
that it kill acpi and/or apm. Since it's more important for
for me to get suspension working, I can not use any
drivers provided by nVidia unless of course they implement
necessary support.

BTW, XFree4.3.0 is out, and your GeForce is supported.

Ducrot Bruno Page profaissionelle Haume page