    SubjectRe: 2.5 XFree and nvidia geforce.
    From
    On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 04:55:54PM -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:16:15 +0200, Bongani Hlope said:
    >
    > > If you don't inteand to run 3d applications, then you don't need the
    > > nvidia drivers (both for 2.4 and 2.5), but if you want 3d acceleration,
    > > the you best bet is 2.4 + nvidia
    >
    > For reasons I don't claim to understand, the nvidia drivers have much
    > better 2D acceleration as well. And with the patches from www.minion.de
    > they work acceptably under 2.5.64, modulo a few issues:
    >
    > At least on my Dell laptop (GeForce 440 2Go), the 'GLX' extension will wedge up
    > the X server (ctl-alt-del still reboots, so the kernel is still there).
    >
    > Restarting the X server hangs the machine sometimes.
    >
    > I'm going to take a shot at debugging those two issues now that my office is
    > remodelled and I have a fighting chance of hooking something to the serial
    > port for debugging. ;)

    One of the main issue for me (I don't want flame please) is
    that it kill acpi and/or apm. Since it's more important for
    for me to get suspension working, I can not use any
    drivers provided by nVidia unless of course they implement
    necessary support.

    BTW, XFree4.3.0 is out, and your GeForce is supported.

    --
    Ducrot Bruno
    http://www.poupinou.org Page profaissionelle