SubjectRe: problem w/ auto negotiate & ns83820 & netgear fsm726s switch

Hello Ben ,

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Benjamin LaHaise wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 09:11:02AM -0500, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
> > The switch reports negotiating ...
> > Port Name Link On/Off State Rate/Duplex Flow Ctrl
> > 26GB Not Defined Up On Forwarding (10 Full) (Disabled)
> >
> > ns83820 reports , eth0: link now 1000F mbps, full duplex and up.
> > I am quite aware that this could well be a difficulty in the
> > switch still . So I am looking for pointers on where to look ?
> > I already tried the netgear suport site ;-} . That is why I am
> > running the lastest code for the switch (1.0.4) .

> It's entirely possible the card has a different polarity for the phy bits
> as compared to the fibre card (Netgear) that the driver is already tested
> on. Also, I've only managed to test on a cisco switch -- is there any
> other hardware you can test against (ie using the fibre cable for cross
> over) to narrow things down? Enabling debug and dumping the status bits
> might hint as to what has to be changed. Thankfully Trendnet seems to
> have programmed the subsystem id, so I'll be able to include the change
> automatically.
I have access to another one of those cards at work it reports
the same items in the dmesg , I just looked at the switch it is
attached to & it shows fine(*) . That switch manufacturer is an
old Cabletron SSR4000 . But the thruput there is even worse (**).
THO the ssr4k network isn't idle . And I am unable to aportion a
time to make it idle . The previous emails test network was idle .
After I get back from a road trip next week I'll try a back to
back test . At least I hope I can when I get back . Twyl , JimL

(*)
# port show port-status gi.4.2
Flags: M - Mirroring enabled S - SmartTRUNK port
Link Admin
Port Port Type Duplex Speed Negotiation State State
Flags
---- --------- ------ ----- ----------- ----- ----- -----
gi.4.2 1 Gigabit Ethernet Full 1 Gbits Auto Up Up

(**)
$ tftp hostname
tftp> mode binary
tftp> get getme
Received 675315712 bytes in 1169.8 seconds
tftp> quit

$ bc
scale=10
675315712/1169.8