SubjectRe: Bug in IDE controllers when connected to PCI?
Hi,

I am experiencing the same problem. The controller is a promise-20269
and four disks are attached to it (dma is turned on for all drives)
I get the same error messages on the console (except for the scsi
message). The message 'seeking beyond end of device' is also logged to
console. Additionally, file corruption occurs in files that are changed
very often (logfiles, database files). It seems that the erroneous data
in the logfiles comes from other files on the same partition (/var).
Sometimes it takes up to 12 hours before corruption occurs. The program
I am using to test this is a java program that does write/read/modify
and uses md5 to see if a file was changed (corrupted) without accessing
the file directly. Sometimes, the complete systems crashes (it cannot
execute a binary or find a library). I encountered this on kernel 2.4.20.

I am testing 2.4.17 to see if it has the same problem (gardiol said this
one should be fine).

What can be the cause of this problem ? If more information is needed,
or additional tests are required, let me know.

Greets,

Bart

Willy Gardiol wrote:

>Hi to all,
>i think i run into a bug in current stable kernel's regarding IDE controllers
>and PCI.
>Sorry for the long post, but i need some help from you to investigate this
>deeper.
>
>I own a CDRW Philips 1610A, here is hdparm -i and -I output:
>
>(hdparm -i)
>/dev/hdf:
> Model=PHILIPS CDRW1610A, FwRev=0.010000, SerialNo=5VO2149DL13692
> Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs nonMagnetic }
> RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
> BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=128kB, MaxMultSect=0
> (maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0
> IORDY=yes, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
> PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
> DMA modes: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2
> AdvancedPM=no
>
>(hdparm -I)
>/dev/hdf:
>ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
> Model Number: PHILIPS CDRW1610A
> Serial Number: 5VO2149DL13692
> Firmware Revision: 0.010000
>Standards:
>Configuration:
> DRQ response: 50us.
> Packet size: 12 bytes
>Capabilities:
> LBA, IORDY(cannot be disabled)
> Buffer size: 128.0kB
> DMA: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2
> Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
> PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
> Cycle time: no flow control=120ns IORDY flow control=120ns
>
>It works and burns correctly with DMA enabled( hdparm -d1) when connected to
>the on-board IDE controller, following is /rpco/pci of it:
> Bus 0, device 4, function 1:
> IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586B PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev
>6).
> Master Capable. Latency=32.
> I/O at 0xd800 [0xd80f].
>
>I also have two different PCI IDE ATA100/133 controllers:
>a Promise Ultra100 TX2 (chip PDC20268)
>a Sil 0680 based RAID ATA133 board
>Here is /proc/pci for the 0680 (the other one is not conented right now)
> Bus 0, device 11, function 0:
> RAID bus controller: CMD Technology Inc PCI0680 (rev 2).
> IRQ 10.
> Master Capable. Latency=32.
> I/O at 0x9800 [0x9807].
> I/O at 0x9400 [0x9403].
> I/O at 0x9000 [0x9007].
> I/O at 0x8800 [0x8803].
> I/O at 0x8400 [0x840f].
> Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd4800000 [0xd48000ff].
>
>When connected to any of these two controllers (as hde, hdf or hdg, not tryed
>hdh but dont think it changes something) if i enable DMA (hdparm -d1) the
>kernel hangs when i try to burn: no logs are written (!) but i managed to get
>this output (sending all logs to /dev/tty12):
>
>IDE_DMAPROC: chipset supported IDE_DMA_TIMEOUT only: 14
>hdf: status timeout: status 0xd0 { Busy }
> [...]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.038 / U:0.220 seconds]