SubjectRe: [Resending] User Process and a Kernel Thread
Date
On Tuesday 11 March 2003 11:37 am, Prasad wrote:
> Resending the mail...
>
> Hi all,
> Whats the difference between the user process and a kernel thread?

Kernel process/thread has access to all hardware capability. No security can
be envorced.

User process is limited to the memory the kernel allocates to the process. No
direct device access, no access to all system resources. All hardware access
is mediated by the kernel. Some privileged operations can be delegated to a
user process (see X server running without frame buffer support).

> IS it possible to make the kernel thread a user process?

No