SubjectRe: [RFC] Improved inode number allocation for HTree
Hans Reiser wrote:
> Let's make noatime the default for VFS.
> Daniel Phillips wrote:
>> If I were able to design Unix over again, I'd state that if you don't
>> lock a directory before traversing it then it's your own fault if
>> somebody changes it under you, and I would have provided an interface
>> to inform you about your bad luck. Strictly wishful thinking.
>> (There, it feels better now.)

I'm happy nobody _can_ lock a directory like that. Think of it - unable
to create or delete files while some slow-moving program is traversing
the directory? Ouch. Plenty of options for DOS attacks too.
And how to do "rm *.bak" if rm locks the dir for traversal?

Helge Hafting

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.071 / U:0.552 seconds]