SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] BK->CVS (real time mirror)
Followup to:  <>
By author: Larry McVoy <>
In newsgroup:
> If all of this sounds nice, it is. It was a lot of work for us to do
> this and you might be wondering why we bothered. Well, for a couple of
> reasons. First of all, it was only recently that I realized that because
> BK is not free software some people won't run BK to get data out of BK.
> It may be dense on my part, but I simply did not anticipate that people
> would be that extreme, it never occurred to me. We did a ton of work to
> make sure anyone could get their data out of BK but you do have to run
> BK to get the data. I never thought of people not being willing to run
> BK to get at the data. Second, we have maintained SCCS compatible file
> formats so that there would be another way to get the data out of BK.
> This has held us back in terms of functionality and performance. I had
> thought there was some value in the SCCS format but recent discussions
> on this list have convinced me that without the changeset information
> the file format doesn't have much value.

I can only speak for myself, but I didn't mind until the license ended
up having the "unless you hack on other tools" exception in it.
Personally, I value my freedom to hack on whatever I want a lot more
than the convenience of BK. This is a personal choice on my part and
may sound "extreme" to you, and other people have made other
tradeoffs, but for me freedom was the reason I started hacking Linux
instead of becoming a Win32 geek.

Having this capability available will certainly make life better for
everyone involved. Besides, "we won't hold your data hostage" is
actually a pretty nice selling argument.

> Our goal is to provide the data in a way that you can get at it without
> being dependent on us or BK in any way. As soon as we have this
> debugged, I'd like to move the CVS repositories to (if I can
> get HPA to agree) and then you'll have the revision history and can live
> without the fear of the "don't piss Larry off license". Quite frankly,
> we don't like the current situation any better than many of you, so if
> this addresses your concerns that will take some pressure off of us.

I'm sure we can work something out. However, at the moment, our main server with lots and lots of bandwidth, is
starting to run into its limits, so I can't promise *when* that will
happen. Just putting in another server

<> at work, <> in private!