SubjectRe: PCI driver module unload race?
Hi,

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Patrick Mochel wrote:

> > > Greg, and Rusty, are right. Dealing with this is a PITA, and I think will
> > > always be. I'm willing to take the Nancy Reagan platform, too.
> >
> > Right with what?
>
> With the idea that unloading modules is a bad idea.

With the current module refcount model I can only agree.
OTOH I need a sufficiently complex example, which gets the module locking
right (file systems are just too simple), then I can actually produce a
patch, which shows the advantages of a different model and the driver
model/sysfs looks like an interesting victim. :)

> > What is the "Nancy Reagan platform"?
>
> "Just say no". It was a big anti-drug campaign in the US targeted at
> schoolchildren, spearheaded in the mid-80's by Nancy Reagan.

Well, this always look simple, but it hardly ever solves the real problem.

bye, Roman

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.043 / U:1.640 seconds]