SubjectRe: devfs + PCI serial card = no extra serial ports
Bryan Whitehead wrote:
>[snip]
>> There is nothing in devfs that prevents you from registering
>> devfs devices even if they are not yet bound to specific hardware
>> (you do not need a sysfs mapping, for example). So, you should be
>> able to register /dev/tts/0..N at initialization, where N is the
>> maximum number of serial devices you want to support.

>are you saying there is a way to force devfs to make more entries in
>/dev/tts/ without any hardware being attached to the entries? Then i can
>use setserial? so on boot I'd have 4 entries in /dev/tts ?

I don't know what you mean by "force." devfs_register does
not know (or "care") if there is a physical device associated with the
major/minor/ops that it is given.

>Or are you saying I write a script to goto /dev/tts after boot and mknod
>the ports that are missing?

User level programs can also do mknod() calls in devfs
directories, if that is what you are referring to, so you could
do "mknod /dev/tts/3 c 4 68", for example.

By the way, I notice that 2.5.64 with devfs already creates
/dev/tts/0 through /dev/tts/49.

Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 575 Oroville Road
adam@yggdrasil.com \ / Milpitas, California 95035
"Free Software For The Rest Of Us."

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.024 / U:8.496 seconds]